Monday, September 24, 2012

Goddess Goodies: Pomegranate Scones

For me, baking is a spiritual practice.  Maybe it's my natural kitchen-witchery showing through, or maybe it's because of the warm memories I have of learning to bake with my mom and grandma.  For whatever reason, I love crafting warm, gooey goodness that I can share with my family and friends in the spirit of the Goddess.

When my husband got groceries this weekend, he texted to let me know that pomegranates are back in season.  Since Persephone has been on my mind lately, I decided to experiment with pomegranate scones.


 You will need:
1 pomegranate
2 cups flour (I use wheat, but most people prefer all-purpose for lighter scones)
1/4 cup of honey
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 TBSP cold butter
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream (I use low fat)
2 egg yolks
 1. Slice the top off the pomegranate, and score the fruit three or four times.  Invert it in a bowl of cold water for at least five minutes: this will make it easier to get the pomegranate seeds out.

When you are able to remove the seeds, do it slowly.  Working with a pomegranate is very meditative,  and this is the step in the process where I set my intentions for the recipe.  If I want to honor Persephone, I think about her story.  If I want to fill my tribe with love and joy, I think about that.

Make sure you rinse the seeds and drain them.

2. Combine flour, honey, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.  Cut in the butter until it's crumbly.

3. Combine sour cream and egg yolks, add to the crumb mixture.

4. Mix in pomegranate seeds.

5. Flour your hands and divide the dough into two round balls.  On a floured baking sheet, press the balls flat.  Score them with a sharp knife, but don't separate the scones yet.

6.  (Optional): Whip one egg white and drizzle it over the scones.  Add cinnamon and sugar, pouring it over the egg.

7. Bake at 425 F for 18 minutes

Cool on a wire rack.  WARNING: these scones are crumbly!


Enjoy with a cup of chai tea or your morning coffee.  Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment